Friday, May 25, 2007

Hidden Passion: Writing Excersise #32

Its not really hidden, since most people who know me well know that my "secret passions" are totally opposite; UFC and Ice Skating. Crazy right?

I was drawn into UFC [for those who don't know, it is Ultimate Fighting Challenge] because I am a total TV flipper. Every time I would flip past #53, I would always stop just long enough to watch one guy get pummeled by the other, usually opening a gash in his face and making him bleed. That makes me queasy just thinking about it, but I could not stop watching. This curiosity soon turned into much more. Now I watch weekly and follow the fighters stats very closely.

On the complete opposite hand, you can't tear me apart from ice skating if its on TV. For 10 years of my life I was an ice skater. Not a great one, but who cares. I loved it. My coach was amazing. Not ONLY was she 73 years old and still lacing up every day, she was the original coach of the local synchronized ice skating team as well. She was something of a living legend, and a hero of sorts to me. As I started skating I was a rebellious young kid, and she transformed me into a compliant figure skater. Actually, I learned a lot more from her than I ever thought I would.

Its funny how two completely different sports interest me so much! I guess you could say I'm a little bit of a tom-boy and a girly-girl at the same time.

No comments: