Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Simple Pleasures of Life - According to Me

clothes fresh out of the dryer - the feeling that I get when I put on clothes still warm from the dryer makes me want to melt, even if it only lasts for a few seconds.

a hug - Never underestimate the power of a hug. It can cure my anger, sadness, loneliness or any other bad feelings I may have.

lightning bugs - Just seeing them outside at night makes me so happy because it signifies summertime and it always takes me back to a younger time when I was a child trying to catch them.

a smile when you least expect it - when I'm in line at the bank, it's very rare to see the teller smiling back at you, and when it does happen, it makes me so happy. I think to myself, "If they still have enough energy to smile at me, then so should I." I always think of smiling at the next person I see and passing on the good vibes.

seeing the physical effects of the changing seasons - I enjoy seeing the leaves change color in autumn, the first snowflakes fall in the winter, the flower buds poking through the ground in spring and the sun setting later every night in the summer.

outdoor chats - sitting outside talking with friends and/or family is so relaxing. Loosing track of time, several conversations at once, maybe a few beers, and just the overall ambiance of being together always makes me feel warm inside.

bonfires - I love everything about bonfires. Ghost stories, 'smores, getting lost in my mind while staring at the glowing embers, and the heat that warms my body when I get close. I even love the smell of it on me the next day.

saying "Goodnight" and hearing someone say it back to you - Makes me feel safe and secure as I drift off to sleep.

love letters - Any kind. Once I read them, I get that tingly feeling all over and I'm floating on clouds for the rest of the day.

sand between my toes - Something about the granules of sand passing through the spaces between my toes just feels so incredibly right.

finding unexpected cash - Putting on that jacket I haven't worn since last winter and finding a $5 bill makes my day. Can't really buy much with $5 bucks, but just feeling richer makes me smile.

discounts at the register - I was wavering on purchasing a dress due to the price; I didn't think I could afford it. After a long mental debate, I decided to get it because it looked amazing on me, and I told myself that I wouldn't spend another dime till I got my next paycheck. At the check out counter, I cringed as the saleslady scannded the barcode and quickly looked at the screen to see what the damage was. Relief washed over me when I saw that it was discounted to a managable price. One of the best feelings in the world.

making loved ones laugh - I feel like I have achieved something amazing if I can make my boyfriend crack a smile, and I get such great satisfaction out of telling a joke that really makes him laugh.

having nowhere to go on a rainy day - I love being stuck inside on rainy days. I can feel guilt-free about staying in pajamas, posting up on the couch, eating junk food, and watching movies all day long. Sometimes I'll sit on the balcony and just listen to the rain.

a long, hot shower - Can raise my spirits no matter how down I am. There must be something theraputic about the steam from the hot water that washes away all my problems.

comfortable silence - Knowing that I don't have to say something to fill the void makes being around you so much easier. Sometimes theres really nothing to say; the silence says it all.

getting a letter in the mail - Before texting, before inbox, even before instant messaging, there was mail. It just feels good to see a hand-written letter amongst all the bills, magazines, and junk mail that clutter up that little box nowadays.

No comments: