Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Gift-wrapped Box

Every day, I walk around with a gift-wrapped box in my pocket. I keep it there to remind myself of what I once felt, in hopes that I may feel that way again someday.


You see, It was for a woman. Her name was Anna. She had a radiant olive skin tone, long flowing brown hair, big green eyes, freckles scattered across her face and a smile that would make your heart melt. She was average height for a woman but had the longest legs I'd ever seen. We had been together for almost 3 years and I knew she was The One.

She had my heart; and then she crushed it.


One day, I found myself in a jewelry store looking through one glass display after another, searching for a surprise gift to give her. I began talking to the sales lady and she showed me some impressive diamonds in beautiful settings. When she told me that they were usually engagement rings, I started to think. "I've been with Anna for so long and I know shes the woman I want to be with," I thought, "but is it the right time to do this?" I stood at the glass display holding a 2 carat princess cut ring set in platinum, just thinking of the idea of Anna in a wedding dress. Her walking down the aisle with her father, meeting me at the end of the walkway; me, placing the ring on her dainty finger, saying "I do", making her my wife, knowing that no other could have her.

I decided then and there to purchase that ring and then I had the saleswoman wrap it up for me. I would keep it with me until the perfect moment arose. Little did I know, that gift-wrapped box would remain in my pocket for a long time.

I came home feeling euphoric about my little secret and plotting when would be the best time to propose. When I walked into our apartment, I saw Anna had left her cell phone on the counter. I chuckled and said, "Silly Anna, always forgetting things." She had already left for work, and I knew that Anna had a tendency to forget things. Just as I spoke, her phone began to buzz violently.

Thinking that it was her calling her phone to locate it, I picked it up. 5 New Photos. I tapped the little button without hesitation and opened her photos. All 5 were of a male, "Chad", who was NOT me. He had a separate message for each photo that had been sent. "I miss you baby" was what one read. The second, "When can I see you again?" and the third, "here's something to remind you of me". I didn't go any further, because the pictures that came along with these messages were enough for me to realize what was going on.

I threw her cell phone against the wall, screamed and proceeded to punch the wall. I sat for a minute, dumbfounded. Then, after a long trembling moment, I collected my cool, and began to pack. After about an hour, all of my belongings were packed into my luggage haphazardly and as a last-moment gesture, I picked up her phone and placed it on the table, along side with a note that read in my scribbled handwriting, "ITS OVER. GOODBYE."

I walked out the door, and never looked back.

So here I stand, with a gift-wrapped box in my pocket and hope in my heart.

No comments: