Sunday, September 27, 2009

Hi, We've Just Met, But Here's My Life Story

I have always wondered why people who just meet others like to share their whole life story. Okay, not even meet per se - even just in passing.

I have previously worked as a sales clerk in various retail stores, and it always seems to be that when customers are making their purchases, thats when they like to start telling me all about their lives. I ask them, "Did you find everything okay?" and their response would be, "Yes, I did. I was looking for a dress for a wedding and I found this beautiful green one. Oh, I'm going to my grandsons wedding this weekend and I have to wear something nice because his mother is going through a rough divorce and my grandsons father is bringing his new girlfriend who happens to be about 20 years younger than him and she already has a child. But who am I to judge?" And so on...



Now I work in a doctor's office and the same thing seems to come up- people telling me all about them or their lives when all I'm asking for is a $10 copay. Even when I am the shopper and I'm making my purchase at the register, the clerks will tell their crazy long stories to me. I just dont understand when sharing so much information with strangers became the norm.


What is this strange urge that people have to tell others all about themselves?

Has this ever happened to you?

No comments: